[R] count of factors

Lucia Rueda lucia.rueda at ba.ieo.es
Wed Jan 19 09:51:43 CET 2011

Hello everyone,

I have a data set like this:

> head( fish_transect)
  ID_TRANSECT ID_PROJECT   DE_ZONE DE_LOCALITY DE_SECTOR MES
1          42         MB Tarragona    Creixell Control I   9
2          42         MB Tarragona    Creixell Control I   9
3          42         MB Tarragona    Creixell Control I   9
4          42         MB Tarragona    Creixell Control I   9
5          42         MB Tarragona    Creixell Control I   9
6          42         MB Tarragona    Creixell Control I   9
               ID_SPECIES         WEIGHT  SIZE   N    FAMILIA
1 Spondyliosoma cantharus    15.64     10     1    Sparidae
2  Symphodus melanocercus  11.21     10      1   Labridae
3       Diplodus vulgaris         30.20     10      2   Sparidae
4       Diplodus vulgaris         52.24     12      2   Sparidae
5         Diplodus sargus        221.41    14     5    Sparidae
6      Diplodus annularis         3.47       6      1    Sparidae

The table function of the column FAMILIA gives:
Apogonidae     Atherinidae       Blennidae      Blenniidae        Bothidae
            216               1             406               2
11
     Carangidae Centracanthidae       Congridae         Gadidae
Gobidae
             25               4              21               2
214
     Haemulidae        Labridae       Mugilidae        Mullidae
Muraenidae
             25            6381              10             965
45
   Myliobatidae      Sciaenidae      Scombridae    Scorpaenidae
Serranidae
              2             159               1             512
2127
       Sparidae    Sphyraenidae    Synodontidae    Torpedinidae
Trachinidae
           6196               5               1               1
1
  Tripterygidae
            135

I want to add a new column "familia2" where those families with low number
of individuals are listed as "other", that is, for these families
Atherinidae      Blenniidae        Bothidae      Carangidae Centracanthidae
              1               2              11              25
4
      Congridae         Gadidae      Haemulidae       Mugilidae
Muraenidae
             21               2              25              10
45
   Myliobatidae      Scombridae    Sphyraenidae    Synodontidae
Torpedinidae
              2               1               5               1
1
    Trachinidae
              1

I want them in column "familia2" to be named "others"

I've been trying to do a loop telling R to write "others" when the sum of
FAMILIA was less than 50, but it didn't work because FAMILIA is a factor,
and there isn't a "count" function (or I didn't find it). I also tried other
options like the "match" function, "level" function, etc. I know I can do it
manually typing by myself the names of the 16 families but I want to learn a
way to do where I don't need to type the names.

Thanks in advance!

Lucia