[R] CSV value not being read as it appears

bgreen at dyson.brisnet.org.au bgreen at dyson.brisnet.org.au
Fri Jan 14 11:09:37 CET 2011

Brian,

Thanks. My response to David follows. I should add that this problem has
never occurred previously as far as I know (I have now checked the
previous report I was sent):

Hello David,

Thanks for your e-mail. The data was a report derived from a statewide
database, saved in EXCEL format, so the usual issue of the vagaries of
human data entry variation wasn't the issue as the data was an automated
report, which is run every three months. I would not have even noticed
this problem if I hadn't been double checking the numbers of people by
district. Visual inspection didn't reveal this problem - no white space
was obvious and the spelling was identical. Tabulation via R wouldn't have
detected this - I was obtaining the EXCEL totals via filter which I then
compared with R output. I'm hoping I can skip this step, in future, with
Jim's suggestion.

regards

Bob