[R] metafor/ meta-regression

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Fri Jan 14 00:06:51 CET 2011

Dear Fernanda,

Currently, there is no option in metafor that will automatically give you standardized coefficients for meta-regression models. The question is also how you would like to standardize those coefficients. In the usual regression models, the standardized coefficients are those that you would obtain if both the dependent and the independent variables are all rescalled to have a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1.

For meta-regression models, I don't see how rescalling the dependent variable (i.e., the outcome) would give you something sensible. There are some additional issues with the fact that you would also have to rescale the sampling variances accordingly.

One possibility may be to just rescale the predictors. If this is what you want, then you can always just rescale the variables manually (the scale() function will help you do that).

For example:

data(dat.bcg)

dat <- escalc(measure="RR", ai=tpos, bi=tneg, ci=cpos, di=cneg, data=dat.bcg, append=TRUE)
res <- rma(yi, vi, mods=cbind(ablat, year), data=dat, method="REML")
res

dat$ablat.std <- c(scale(dat$ablat))
dat$year.std  <- c(scale(dat$year))

res <- rma(yi, vi, mods=cbind(ablat.std, year.std), data=dat, method="REML")
res

Part of the output:

           estimate      se     zval    pval    ci.lb    ci.ub
intrcpt     -0.7321  0.1238  -5.9137  <.0001  -0.9748  -0.4895  ***
ablat.std   -0.4046  0.1478  -2.7371  0.0062  -0.6943  -0.1149   **
year.std     0.0209  0.1605   0.1299  0.8966  -0.2938   0.3355

So, the results indicate that, for a one standard deviation increase in absolute latitude, the relative risk decreases on average by .41 points. And for a one standard deviation increase in year, the relative risk increases on average by .02 points.

Whether one can determine the relative importance of predictors this way (this at least seems to be the reason why people often ask for standardized coefficients) is another issue.

Best,

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer
Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology