[R] R not recognized in command line

Daniel Nordlund djnordlund at frontier.com
Thu Jan 13 08:12:21 CET 2011

Well, (1) either the path is still not correct, (2) R is not installed where you think it is, or (3) your windows installation is corrupted.  (There are probably other options as well.  Let's make sure R is installed where you think it is.  The default directory for 32-bit R-2.12.1 on Windows (if you accepted the defaults) is

C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.1\bin\i386

So open up a Windows command shell and execute Rterm by typing the full path and filename

"C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.1\bin\i386\Rterm.exe"

Make sure you include the double quotes around the complete path (because of the space in the directory path, and if you changed the installation directory then you obviously would need to change the command).  Does R start up?  If it does, then you still don't have the correct path stored in the PATH environment variable.  If R doesn't start, then it is not installed where you think it is.  Let us know your results are.

Dan

Daniel Nordlund
Bothell, WA USA code.