[R] Sum by column

Peter Francis peterfrancis at me.com
Wed Jan 12 15:39:22 CET 2011

David and Josh,

Thanks very much for your help, it is much appreciated.

Peter

On 12 Jan 2011, at 14:28, David Winsemius wrote:

There are two functions you need to become familiar with:

?tapply
?ave

If you wanted these summed values to be placed in another column of the same dataframe, you would use ave. If you wanted a new structure (somewhat shorter) you would use tapply with sum as the function. E. g:

tapply(ecoregion$ED, ecoregion$ECOCODE, sum)

--
David.