[R] A question on dummy variable

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Jan 11 22:34:21 CET 2011

You are not offering example of real codings but are rather showing
something1 that you think looks like something2 (in R) that looks like
something3 (in a textbook?). My guess is that the something2 might be
contrast matrices or model matrices.

If you want a contrast matrix whose columns sum to zero (which is one
possible situation that some people might call "centered" then look at
the documentation for sum and poly contrasts. If you want to see a
situation where model matrices are constructed which compare to the
overall mean (another possible interpretation of "centered"), then
look at the documentation for model.matrix and run the examples on
that page with a -1 in the formula.

--
David.