[R] Memory Needed for Regression

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Mon Jan 10 23:58:33 CET 2011

The size of the model matrix X can be estimated approximately. It depends on the kind of data in the model matrix. For instance, floating points require more memory than integers (which I think is 8 bits per cell). If your model matrix is sparse, you can use some hidden functions in the matrix package for sparse model matrices and save a lot of memory in doing so, though I am not certain how to estimate memory requirements under such conditions.