[R] anova vs aov commands for anova with repeated measures

Frodo Jedi frodo.jedi at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 8 11:23:42 CET 2011

Dear Bill,
many thanks for your answer. I got the point but still I would need an help
with a numeric example, as I haven´t fully understood how it works with R
(I had a look to proj() but I am not aware of how can be used correctly).

Could you please make an example?

For example, in attachment you find a .csv table resulting from an experiment,
you can access it by means of this command:

> scrd<-
>read.csv(file='/Users/....../tables_for_R/table_quality_wood.csv',sep=',',header=T)

The data are from an experiment where participants had to evaluate on a seven
point likert scale
the realism of some stimuli, which are presented both in condition "A" and in
condition "AH".

I need to perform the ANOVA by means of this command:

> aov1 = aov(response ~ stimulus*condition + Error(subject/(stimulus*condition)),
>data=scrd)

but the problem is that I cannot plot as usually do the qqnorm on the residuals
of the fit because
lm does not support the Error term present in aov.
I normally check normality through a plot (or a shapiro.test function). Now
could you please

illustrate me how will you be able to undestand from my data if they are
normally distributed?

Please enlighten me

Best regards