[R] Waaaayy off topic...Statistical methods, pub bias, scientific validity

Peter Langfelder peter.langfelder at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 08:06:44 CET 2011

>From a purely statistical and maybe somewhat naive point of view,
published p-values should be corrected for the multiple testing that
is effectively happening because of the large number of published
studies. My experience is also that people will often try several
statistical methods to get the most significant p-value but neglect to
share that fact with the audience and/or at least attempt to correct
the p-values for the selection bias.

That being said, it would seem that biomedical sciences do make
progress, so some of the published results are presumably correct :)

Peter