[R] Problem with 2-ways ANOVA interactions

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Jan 6 21:40:33 CET 2011

See inline

I think you are closer, but not quite there.  The test on the interaction tests if the difference between A and AH is the same across the different stimuli.  The main effect for condition tests if there is a difference between A and AH.

> So if all before is correct, my final question is: how by means of ANOVA can I track the significative differences between the stimuli
> presented in A and AH condition whitout passing for the t-test? Indeed my goal was to find in one hand if globally the condition
> AH bring to better results than condition A, and on the other hand I needed to know for which stimuli the condition AH brings
> better results than condition A.
>

> Finally, Iam burning with curiosity to know the answers to the following two questions:
> 1-  is there a difference between anova(response ~ stimulus*condition) and anova(response ~ condition*stimulus)
> concerning the interaction part?

The interaction part should be identical (with the exception of possible rounding error).

> 2-  doing the anova(response ~ stimulus + condition) give the same results of two ONE WAY ANOVA
> anova(response ~ stimulus) and anova(response ~ condition) but the advantage is that they are presented together in one single output?

Only if there is absolutely no effect in one or more of the terms.  Doing both together allows you to compare the differences in the conditions given the different stimuli.  The one-way anova on condition groups and differences from the different stimuli in with the overall error (in your case that was not much, so you will not see much difference, but in general there can be big differences).

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org