[R] R not recognized in command line

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 14:51:30 CET 2011

Hi Aaditya,

I assume you are running some variant of Windows and by the "prompt in
DOS" you are using cmd.exe.

Perhaps you are already, but from your examples it looks like either
A) you are not in the same directory as R or B) are not adding the
path to R in the command.  For example, on Windows I always install R
under C:\R\ so for me inside cmd.exe:

C:\directory> C:\R\R-devel\bin\x64\R

[[[R starts here]]]

alternately you could switch directories over and then just type "R"
at the console:

C:\directory> cd C:\R\R-devel\bin\x64\
C:\R\R-devel\bin\x64> R

[[[R starts here]]]

or since you have set the environment variables:

C:\directory> %R_HOME%\bin\x64\R

[[[R starts here]]]

Alternately, edit the PATH environment variable in Windows and add the
path to R (i.e., R_HOME\bin\i386\ or whatever it is for you), and you
should be able to just enter "R" at the command prompt and have it
start.

Cheers,

Josh

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 9:39 PM, Aaditya Nanduri
<aaditya.nanduri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I recently installed rpy2 so that I could use R through Python.
>
> However, R was not recognized in the command line.
>
> So I decided to add it to the PATH variables. But it just doesnt work....
> And what I mean by it doesnt work is : No matter what I type at the prompt
> in DOS- be it R, Rcmd, R CMD, Rscript- it is not recognized as a command.
>
> Path variables used :
> 1. %R_HOME% --> C:\Program Files\R\R 2.12.1\
> 2. %R_HOME%\bin
> 3. %R_HOME%\bin\i386
> 4. Some Batchscripts I found online that recognize the R.exe in \bin\i386
> but only if I run the batch file...its not natively recognized (if I were to
> type 'R' at the prompt in DOS, its not recognized)
>
> I would appreciate any help in this matter.
> Or should I do something else so that I can try rpy2?
>
> Python version 2.6.6
> R 2.12.1
> rpy2 2.0.8
>

> --