[R] packagename:::functionname vs. importFrom

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Tue Jan 4 06:06:29 CET 2011

> Correct.  I'm doing this because of non-exported functions in other packages,
> so I need :::

But you really really shouldn't be doing that.  Is there a reason that
the package authors won't export the functions?

> I'd still appreciate any insight about whether importFrom in NAMESPACE
> defers package loading so that if the package is not actually used (and is
> not installed) there will be no problem.

Imported packages need to be installed - but it's the import vs.
suggests vs. depends statement in DESCRIPTION that controls this
behaviour, not the namespace.

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/