[R] packagename:::functionname vs. importFrom

Frank Harrell f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Jan 3 22:45:45 CET 2011

In my rms package I use the packagename:::functionname construct in a number
of places.  If I instead use the importFrom declaration in the NAMESPACE
file would that require the package to be available, and does it load the
package when my package loads?  If so I would keep using packagename::: to
avoid up-front loading of other packages that are not always used.

Thanks
Frank

-----
Frank Harrell