[R] error in calling source(): invalid multibyte character in parser

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 09:24:21 CET 2011

On Jan 3, 2011, at 08:32 , Luca Meyer wrote:

> Being italians when writing comments/instructions we use accented letters - like à, ò, è, etc.... when running R scripts using such characters I get and error saying:
>
> invalid multibyte character in parser
>
> I have been looking at the help and searched the r-help archives but I haven't find anything that I could intelligibly apply to my case.
>
> Can anyone suggest a fix for this error?

The most likely cause is that your scripts are written in an "8 bit ASCII" encoding (Latin-1 or -9, most likely), while R is running in a UTF8 locale. If that is the cause, the fix is to standardize things to use the same locale. You can convert the encoding of your source file using the iconv utility (in a Terminal window).

-pd