[R] problem with postscript command

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 00:04:22 CET 2011

Victor F Seabra <vseabra <at> uol.com.br> writes:

>    please, when i use the command postscript, the symbol "<="(less than or
>    equal to) is replaced by "..." (ellipsis)
>    how can I fix that?
>    postscript("plot1.ps", width = 22, height =
>    11.5,pointsize=24,paper="special",bg="transparent")
>    plot(NULL,xlim=c(1,10),ylim=c(1,10))
>    text(5,5,"\u2264")
>    dev.off()
>    I'm using windows vista, my system is in English, R v2.8.1
>    thanks, Victor

  This kind of problem is likely to be a giant headache to solve, and
if it is solvable at all, the solution will likely be
very specific to your particular system (encoding, OS version, etc etc).
You will probably have better luck telling us what your ultimate goal
is.

 One way to accomplish the plot attempted above:

postscript("plot1.ps", width = 22, height =
           11.5,pointsize=24,paper="special",
           bg="transparent")
plot(NULL,xlim=c(1,10),ylim=c(1,10))
## see ?plotmath
## (need 'empty' expressions before and after <=)
text(5,5,expression({}<={}))
dev.off()

  By the way, PostScript might not support transparency ... ?

  For your previous question (why does read.table not work
the way you expected with respect to importing \u2264)? -- Reread
the detailed answers you got previously that distinguish the difference
between how the character is stored within R and how it is printed
on the console.

  good luck
    Ben Bolker