[R] Reproducibility issue in gbm (32 vs 64 bit)

Ridgeway, Greg gregr at rand.org
Sat Feb 26 17:46:26 CET 2011

I have heard about this before happening on other platforms. Frankly I'm not positive how this happens. My best guess is that there's a tiny bit of numeric instability in the 9+ decimal place so that on a given iteration a one variable choice at random looks better than the other. Any other ideas?
Greg