[R] Forced inclusion of varaibles in validate command as well as step

Frank Harrell f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sat Feb 26 15:53:18 CET 2011

Jon,

Version 3.3-0 of rms will be released within 2-3 days.  It has a new option
"force" for fastbw, validate, calibrate.  force is an integer vector of the
parameter numbers to force into every model.  It is meant to work with
type='individual' and its performance with type='residual' needs to be
studied (I doubt if it works as you want).  Suppose you have a Cox model
(which does not have an intercept to include in the sequential numbering for
force) like this:

f <- cph(S ~ sex + pol(age,2) + rcs(height,4))

and you want to force age into every model.  You would specify force=2:3.
Typing coef(f) will show you the sequential parameters in the model.
Someday I'll extend this to force='age' but that's not in the current
version.  Note that fastbw always pools age and age^2 effects when judging
significance.

As always use stepwise methods at your own risk.  They are dangerous to your
health.

If you are using Linux I can send the new version by e-mail.

Frank

-----
Frank Harrell