[R] BFGS versus L-BFGS-B

Prof. John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Fri Feb 25 23:54:33 CET 2011

For functions that have a reasonable structure i.e., 1 or at most a few optima, it is
certainly a sensible task. Separable functions are certainly nicer (10K 1D minimizations),
but it is pretty easy to devise functions e.g., generalizations of Rosenbrock, Chebyquad
and other functions that are high dimension but not separable.

Admittedly, there are not a lot of real-world examples that are publicly available. More
would be useful.

JN