[R] color code in loop for piecharts plotting

Lucia Rueda lucia.rueda at ba.ieo.es
Fri Feb 25 11:33:25 CET 2011

Hi,
I am using this loop

par(mfrow=c(3,3))
annos<-c(2001:2007,2009)
for (i in annos) {
t<-subset(masia,YEAR==i)
t$FAMILIA<-drop.levels(t$FAMILIA)
pie(table(t$FAMILIA),main=i)
  }

To make piecharts of species composition among years (my data frame is
called "masia"). So I get 1 piechart of the families that we have found in
our survey each year. We don't have always the same families every year so I
added  t$FAMILIA<-drop.levels(t$FAMILIA)
to the loop to avoid having those family levels that aren't there in some
specific years in the pie

The problem is that the color code changes and I get for example different
colors for the same families in different years.

If I group those families that I have less individuals together in a
category called "others" and I make a new column called "familia2" with
fewer levels so that every year I have all levels of familia2 in my species
composition I don't get the problem and all families have the same color
among years.

Does anybody know how to avoid the color code change for the families in the
loop. I know I can do it manually and give each family a color but I have
quite a lot of families so I'm wondering if there's any way to fix that some
other way.

I don't know if I made myself clear...

Thanks!

Lucia