[R] weighted Voronoi diagrams

rex.dwyer at syngenta.com rex.dwyer at syngenta.com
Thu Feb 24 18:15:36 CET 2011

One way to do Dirichlet triangulations is to map point (x,y) to point (x,y,x^2+y^2)  (I think, it's been a while) and then find the convex hull of these points in 3 dimensions.  You can do the Voronoi diagram of circles by mapping (x,y,r) to (x,y,x^2+y^2-r^2)  I would try assigning an r to each point so that the area of the circle (r^2) is proportional to the size of the "subject tree".  You will need to scale the r^2 values so that none of the polygons disappear.  See papers by Aurenhammer and/or Edelsbrunner from around 1990. I've been out of the field for a long time, so there may be more recent stuff.  Hopefully, there is an R package for convex hull in three dimensions.  Possibly, there is someone in the CS department at UMn who does "computational geometry" who could assist you.  Maybe someone else knows of an R package that will do exactly what you want.
HTH
Rex