[R] Weird error (special character) of read.table

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 22 18:58:29 CET 2011

And how to read a file with a BOM is actually discussed in detail in
the 'R Data Import/Export' manual of 2.12.2 RC.

What should be ASCII files with BOMs seem to be cropping up rather
frequently these days: the recent culprits are Mac applications with
origins on Windows (SPSS was one, some version of Excel another).

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, John Edwards wrote:

> Thanks for all the people that replied my message. The text file indeed has
> "\uFEFF". I have fixed the text file by using 'gvim -b'.
>
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Jeff Newmiller
> <jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us>wrote:
>
>> What you describe could be a bug (in which case providing your OS and R
>> version info per the posting guidelines would be a minimum requirement to
>> get it fixed) or a control character that is actually in your file (which
>> you might need a binary editor to see).
>> Jeff Newmiller The ..... ..... Go Live...
>> DCN:<jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us> Basics: ##.#. ##.#. Live Go...
>> Live: OO#.. Dead: OO#.. Playing
>> Research Engineer (Solar/Batteries O.O#. #.O#. with
>> /Software/Embedded Controllers) .OO#. .OO#. rocks...1k
>>
>> John Edwards <jhnedwards603 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have the following input file.
>>> $ cat main.txt