[R] Species accumulation curves with differential sampling effort

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Tue Feb 22 09:26:57 CET 2011

Vanessa Francisco <vanewagen <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello! I'm a PhD student working with coral reef fish diversity in Mexico.
> I want to do species accumulation curves but I have differential sampling
> effort for each "sample".
> Do you know or have developed an R script that consider the differential
> effort of each sample?
> PRIMER and other programs use each pack of species as a replica without the
> possibility of telling the program that the first group of species (sample)
> was collected during a 30 minutes dive and the second group (sample) was
> taking after 60 minutes dive and so on.
> I would really appreciate any kind of help!

Vanessa,

I speak only for the vegan package: I don't know if there is solution elsewhere
 in R. I can certainly say that this cannot be done in vegan. However, it seems
like this could be "easily" implemented in some accumulation methods, but
not with all. Is this weighted SAC published somewhere? If I "re-invent" it, I'd
like to see what others have done. How keenly and urgently you need this?
This will require a bit work since the structure of function needs changes
although the idea is simple, and I'd like to know if that work is of any use to
anyone before starting. Of course, if this already is in R, I won't do this.

Cheers, Jari Oksanen