[R] lm without intercept

Jan jrheinlaender at gmx.de
Fri Feb 18 14:20:57 CET 2011

Hi,

thanks for your help. I'm beginning to understand things better.

> If you plotted your data, you would realize that whether you fit the
> 'best' least squares model or one with a zero intercept, the fit is
> not going to be very good
> Do the data cluster tightly around the dashed line?
No, and that is why I asked the question. The plotted fit doesn't look
any better with or without intercept, so I was surprised that the
R-value etc. indicated an excellent regression (which I now understood
is the wrong interpretation).

One of the references you googled suggests that intercepts should never
be omitted. Is this true even if I know that the physical reality behind
the numbers suggests an intercept of zero?

Thanks,
	Jan