[R] amount of data R can handle in a single file

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 17 10:59:53 CET 2011

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011, Nasila, Mark wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>

>  I would like to know what is the maximum number of observations a
> single file must have when using R. I am asking this because am trying
> to do research on banking transactions and i have around 49million
> records. Can R handle this? Advise with regard to this.

Depends on the platform and how many fields there are in a record.
(On a 64-bit platform we have handled databases of 70m records and
about 30 fields: we did use a DBMS to store them, though: see the 'R
Data Import/Export Manual'.)

OTOH, one could ask what extra useful information there is in 49m
records over a 1% sample.  (In our case it was rare combinations, and
we simply extracted those separately from the DBMS.)