[R] incomplete final line

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 08:16:33 CET 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:11 AM, mipplor <wang-paul at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work like this:
>
>> data<‐read.table('E:/my documents/r/consumer.xls',header=TRUE)
> Warning message:
> In read.table("E:/my documents/r/consumer.xls", header = TRUE) :
>  incomplete final line found by readTableHeader on 'E:/my
> documents/r/consumer.xls'
>
> could someone shoot the trouble for me ? thx

Le'me, just get my six shooter....

Although there is some ability to read Excel spreadsheets directly
into R, I think the easiest solution would be to first open the file
in Excel and then save it in a format more amenable to R such as .txt
or .csv.  CSV files have the attractive feature that you can use
read.csv() so its even easier to read in.  The R Import/Export manual
provides more details:

(1) http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-data.html#Reading-Excel-spreadsheets

(2) Also see the documentation, which you can access at the console by typing

?read.table

Once you're done with that, I also highly recommend reading

(3) http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html

(4) Install the "sos" package, which provides some very helpful
searching functions.
install.packages("sos")

(5) You can now use findFn() from the R console to look for packages
or functions related to Excel and it will give you a nicely formatted
table.
findFn("Excel")

(6) Once you've done the other steps, check out the R Inferno by
Patrick Burns.  It is an entertaining and informative guide to help
familiarize you with using R.
http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/R_inferno.pdf

That ought to send your trouble for a ride on the three legged horse,

Josh

> sorry for trouble ,im a newbie.
> --

"If we try ridin' instead of thinkin'... Well, we'd end up hangin' by
a rope by nightfall."

--
Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology