[R] id number by group and correlative

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 16:10:03 CET 2011

You don't really need to do all of that, since you can
use group directly. But if you want to have a numeric
value for some reason, here's one possible way:

group <- c("A", "A", "A", "A", "B", "B", "B", "C", "C", "C", "C", "C")
id_group <- as.numeric(as.factor(group))
correlative_group <- unlist(lapply(rle(group)$lengths,
function(x)seq(1, x, by=1)))

cbind.data.frame(group, id_group, correlative_group)

As for your last question:
> PD: Last question. Is there any way to save in a variable the internal that
> R uses (those numbers that appear on left side of a dataframe)?

You mean the row names? See ?row.names

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee