[R] image() with a vector

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Wed Feb 16 08:16:07 CET 2011

Steven Cordwell wrote:

> However, transforming z into a matrix with two rows, where both rows are
> the same as z above does seem to be a workaround.
>
> z <- matrix(c(z,z),2,length(z),byrow=TRUE)
> y <- c(0.25,0.75)
> image(x,y,t(z),zlim=c(1,7),col=heat.colors(7),xlab="Year",ylab="Action",yaxt="n",xaxs="r",yaxs="r")
>
> The problem is that when I include the figure that is produced in my pdf,
> there ends up being a white line that runs through the middle horizontally
> (where the divison of the cells is) which ruins the presentation of

This looks more like a problem of pdf than one of image. Under Windows and
current R, I cannot reproduce the line in the pdf, but we have seen this
before. If you are sure that you have the current version of R installed,
you could send in a bug report, but make sure sessionInfo() is included.

One workaround that worked for me in the past to use a CairoPDF as show
below.
Dieter

library(Cairo)
CairoPDF(file="c:/tmp/Hello.pdf")
x <- 0:20
y <- 0.5
z <- round(runif(21,1,7))
z <- matrix(c(z,z),2,length(z),byrow=TRUE)
y <- c(0.25,0.75)
image(x,y,t(z),zlim=c(1,7),col=heat.colors(7),xlab="Year",ylab="Action",
  yaxt="n",xaxs="r",yaxs="r")
dev.off()