[R] Analyzing dissimilarity ratings with Multidimensional Scaling

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 18:40:11 CET 2011

________________________________
> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 17:55:50 +0100
> Subject: Re: [R] Analyzing dissimilarity ratings with Multidimensional
> Scaling
> From: turchet.luca at gmail.com
> To: marchywka at hotmail.com
> CC: r-help at r-project.org
>
> Dear Mike,
> thanks a lot for your answer. Unfortunately the way you kindly
> suggested is not suitable
> to solve my problem.
>
> Indeed as said, I need to display the distances between the proposed trials,
> for example I would like to see a 2D plot where I can see how fare is the
> trial MT-MT from the trial MT-SW (that is how far are the evaluations of the
> audio-visual trial with metal-metal from the trial with metal-snow)

I thought the dendrogram is what you wanted but apparently you can just
use daisy perhaps. This had a lot of typos and may not run as last example
I sent had bad edits but this does create scatterplot with zero points on
diagonal etc. Presumably you can define your own functions appropriate for
your data ( I've never used some of this before which is why I'm trying,
cavear emptor).

library("cluster")
ddm<-daisy(matrix(xm,6,6),metric="euclidean")
str(ddm)
library("scatterplot3d")
dasm<-as.matrix(ddm);
nddf<-reshape(data.frame(dasm),varying=c("X1","X2","X3","X4","X5","X6"),v.name="time", direction="long")
str(nddf)
ij<-as.numeric(gl(6,6))
n2<-cbind(nddf,ij)
str(n2)
scatterplot3d(n2$ij,n2$id,n2$time,type="h")