[R] Newb Prediction Question using stepAIC and predict(), is R wrong?

BSanders adam at mycostech.com
Mon Feb 14 05:19:25 CET 2011

"So do not use '$' or '[..]' terms in model formulae - this is going to cause
problems when it comes to predict, because your formula will not associate
with the names it has in its formula in the new data frame.  When you think
about it, this is obvious. "

I really don't understand why this is obvious.  I'm new to R programming,
and not all that experienced in programming in general.  I would be grateful
for any further explanation.