[R] How to determine the quantile boundary from an ECDF?

Eik Vettorazzi E.Vettorazzi at uke.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Feb 10 23:51:58 CET 2011

Hi Ivan,
are you looking for quantiles of "type 1"? See ?quantile

x<-rnorm(50)
ecdfx<-ecdf(x)
ecdfx(quantile(x,.95,type=1)) #so this is the lowest x having ecdf(x)>=.95

ecdfx(quantile(x,.95,type=1)-1e-10) #left from that point ecdf<.95

so actually it is right-continuous (because its an inverse of an left
continuous function).

hth.