[R] Installing cairo-package fails / solaris

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 10 13:59:56 CET 2011

First, it is 'Cairo' (R is case sensitive), and this is wrong list
(see the posting guide).

But in any case we can't help you as what you show is far from
complete and this is not an R issue. Usually there are multiple
versions of such libraries on a Solaris system: the problem is most
likely the library paths.  Please ask your local Solaris help for
assistance in sorting out what is a local problem.

(FWIW I can install package Cairo on Solaris if I use GNU make, an
undeclared dependence.  But I wonder why you would want to do this
when R's own graphics devices do almost everything Cairo does, often
better since we use pango for font selection.)