[R] rjdbc identifier.quote

Armand Pirvu (gmail) armand.pirvu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 03:06:14 CET 2011

Dear all

Backend is Ingres DBMS
I use RJDBC with Ingres JDBC driver

I have this csv file

"","Strategy","par1","m.1997.09.01"
"1","ALF",2,0.1244

which I try to load it RJDBC

require (RJDBC)
drv <- JDBC("com.ingres.jdbc.IngresDriver","/home/ingres/ingresv1/ingres/lib/iijdbc.jar")
conn <- dbConnect(drv, "jdbc:ingres://192.168.5.21:V17/rtestdb")
mylargedata <- read.csv(file="a5.csv.v0",head=TRUE,sep=",")
> dbWriteTable(conn, "table5",mylargedata)
Error in .sql.qescape(names(value), TRUE, conn at identifier.quote) :
  The JDBC connection doesn't support quoted identifiers, but table/column name contains characters that must be quoted (m.1997.09.01)

So I did another test. I used  Squirel SQL client (JAVA based) and I ran this

create table foo ("m.col1" integer)

And it succeeded

I checked in the database

* help table foo \g
Name:                 foo
Column Information:
                                                                  Key
Column Name                      Type       Length Nulls Defaults Seq
"m.col1"                         integer         4  yes    null

At this point I am not sure, whether the issue is in Ingres JDBC driver or in RJDBC ? Or maybe is it a specific value for identifier.quote ?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks