[R] Removing X and Y labels in graph error

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Feb 8 23:04:39 CET 2011

On Feb 8, 2011, at 3:36 PM, poolmunch wrote:

> Hello, had a quick search on the site but no luck.
>
> Heres my problem, when attempting to xlab = NULL and ylab = NULL it
> displays

Those are the default settings:

?plot.default

   ... , xlab = NULL, ylab = NULL, ...

xlab       a label for the x axis, defaults to a description of x.

> x[[1L]] and X[[2L]] as labels on the axis.
>
> plot(USSenate[,1:2],col=c("blue","grey","red")[unclass(USSenate
> $Senate)],pch=unclass(USSenate$Senate),
> type="n",xaxt="n", yaxt="n",main = NULL, sub = NULL, xlab = NULL,
> ylab =
> NULL)
>
 > data(USSenate)
Warning message:
In data(USSenate) : data set 'USSenate' not found

> Ive been able to get rid of it by xlab = " " but this is not
> satisfactory as
> the graph size must change as well.

Either of the the following produce a plot with no xy-labels. And I
see no change in plot size when going from one to the other. I don't
understand what "... the graph size must change as well" means.