[R] Perform one-way ANOVA using standard deviation and mean

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Feb 8 20:50:44 CET 2011

Another approach (still using the theory of sufficient statistics) is to generate data from a normal distribution that matches exactly the sizes, means, and standard deviations that you have, then analyze the simulated data.

The mvrnorm function in the MASS package can generate data with a given mean and standard deviation.  If you don't want to use that, tools like rnorm, apply, sweep, scale, and ave can also be used to create data with the given means and sds.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org