[R] Plotting Chinese characters

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 8 20:26:58 CET 2011

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, apepe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have read some of the documentation relative to character encodings and
> non-standard fonts (including previous answered questions and the 2006-2 R
> issue), but I am still struggling with very basic plotting of Chinese text.
>
> I am using R for Mac OS X GUI 1.35-dev Leopard build 32-bit.
>
> I have a network, g, of Chinese characters (each node is a Chinese
> character) and I can handle it and display it fine within R using package
> igraph. For example, the names of the nodes are correctly displayed:
>
>> V(g)$name
>  [1] "精" "神" "市" "场" "思" "想" "什" "么" "地" "区" "科" "学" "历" "史" "没" "有" "自"
> "己" "影" "响" "改" "革" "关" "这" "一" ....
>
> However, when I try to plot this network, node names display incorrectly. I
> noticed that it is not just node names. Also title, axes names, etc do not
> display.
>
> For example:
>> x<-c(1,2,3)
>> plot(x,x,main="title is 精")
> outputs the image attached.
> http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3276545/Rplot.jpg
>
> What is the simplest way to display these non-standard fonts in a R plot?

Well, no, it doesn't (it plots on the screen device).  So exactly how
are you producing the plot?

Almost certainly this needs to be moved to R-sig-mac since you
are/should be using Mac-specific graphics devices and fonts.

Note too that we really do need the 'at a minimum' information we
asked for in the posting guide, including your locale.