[R] Installation of packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 8 13:36:38 CET 2011

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 11-02-08 5:22 AM, K. Elo wrote:
>> Dear Katharina,
>>
>> 08.02.2011 11:21, Katharina Lochner wrote:
>>> The following appeared on my console:

>>> Warnung in install.packages("psych") :
>>>
>>>    'lib = "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-212~1.1/library" ist nicht schreibbar
>>>

>> Apparently You do not have permissions to write to the target directory.
>> More generally speaking: it seems You do not have permissions to install
>> software. Maybe You should contact Your system administrator and ask
>> him/her for help-
>
> Or install it to a different library than the standard one.  See the lib
> argument in ?install.packages.

But this was only a warning.  What normally happens is that You are
offered the creation of a personal directory.

In any case, this is a FAQ: please refer people to FAQs for
comprehensive answers:
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#I-don_0027t-have-permission-to-write-to-the-R_002d2_002e12_002e1_005clibrary-directory