[R] Unbalanced Mixed Linear Models With Nested Stratum

JaFF el.romaro at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 12:39:55 CET 2011

Hi folks,

I have a dataset from a trial measuring the subjects' pupils. There are many
measurements, all of which must be analysed in a similar fashion; so if I
get the analysis right for one of them, I've got them all. For simplicity,
let us call any measurement we may be interested as "response". The study
design is an unbalanced latin square, with 5 periods, 5 treatments and 6
subjects. Each subject has two measurements: left and right eyes. The model
is as follows, with ":" denoting interaction...

Fixed Effects = (Subject + Period + Dose):Eye
Random Effects = Subject:Period + Subject:Period:Eye

My main question is how to make this happen in R. I know that "aov" is not
suitable. If you need any more information, I will do my best to provide it
to the best of my knowledge.

I'm sort of a new user to statistical software - I've only used R for 3
months so far. So any additional tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)