[R] Rexcel for mac

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Feb 4 14:24:57 CET 2011

On Feb 4, 2011, at 4:36 AM, Clayton Coffman wrote:

> Is there anything out there which replicates the functionality of
> RExcel on a mac?  I have Excel for mac, and would just like something
> which makes its easy to put sheets into R as a dataframe etc.

On OSX, I believe that the two primary options will be:

1. The read.xls() function in the gdata package from CRAN. This requires Perl, which is installed by default on OSX.

2. Using RODBC from CRAN along with an ODBC driver from Actual Tech (http://www.actualtech.com/product_access.php).

I believe that both will handle at least up through Office 2008 based files. I am not sure about Office 2011 however, if you have the latest version of Office for OSX.

Also, as an FYI, there are two relevant R SIG lists:

and