[R] Function to locate points in 3d octants or points on two axes

Bryan Hanson hanson at depauw.edu
Wed Feb 2 02:30:22 CET 2011

[Sorry, resending with a proper subject line!]

Hi Guru's...

I have a set of points that may lie along any of the x, y and z axes
in a Cartesian coordinate system.  I am hoping that a function exists
which will determine if any two selected points are on different axes,
i.e, if the one of the points is on x and the other on y or z, not
elsewhere on the x axis.  Put another way, I need to determine if the
triangle formed by the two points and the origin lies in the xy, xz or
yz planes.  This might be as simple as testing if any particular value
is zero, i.e. if the x coordinate is zero, then the points must be on
the z and y axes and the triangle in the yz plane.  But, I'm looking
for a fairly general solution, one that also returns the appropriate
plane as the answer.  Very closely related to this, I could use a
function that determines which of the 8 octants a point lies in. Seems
like the cross product might be part of this, but I'm a little rusty
on how to apply it.

I hope this is clear enough, and someone has a suggestion to point me
in the right direction.  Before writing my own klunky version, I
thought I'd ask.

Thanks, Bryan
Prof. Bryan Hanson
Dept of Chemistry & Biochemistry