[R] "each" argument in rep (Bug?)

Phil Spector spector at stat.berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 2 00:16:40 CET 2011

In what way is the behavior non-consistent?  Quoting from
the help page for rep:

‘times’ A vector giving the number of times to repeat each
               element if of length ‘length(x)’, or to repeat the whole
               vector if of length 1.

‘each’ non-negative integer.  Each element of ‘x’ is repeated
               ‘each’ times.  Treated as ‘1’ if ‘NA’ or invalid.

So while times may be a vector, each is clearly limited to being an
integer.  I'll admit that it would be nice if it told you that it
was only using the first element of a vector each argument, but the
behaviour is perfectly consistent with the documentation.

 					- Phil Spector
 					 Statistical Computing Facility
 					 Department of Statistics
 					 UC Berkeley