[R] Census ARIMA x-12 seasonal adjustment in R?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Dec 28 23:17:22 CET 2011

On Dec 28, 2011, at 4:31 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 11-12-28 3:53 PM, David Winsemius wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 28, 2011, at 2:24 PM, Tony.CTR.Choi at faa.gov wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I am new to usin R - which is a great tool - and would like to know
>>> if R
>>> has a seasonal adjustment program for time series and/if it
>>> incorporates
>>> the Census Bureau's ARIMA x-12 seasonal adjustment program in any
>>> way?
>>
>> I'm wondering why your efforts at searching did not find the x12
>> package?
>>

> I would guess because he's new to R.

> The first place to start such a search is in R itself.  Try
>
> ??"topic"

Agree that is sensible for general questions, but it will not find
anything very specialized because it only searches installed packages.
So unless the user has already installed packages with key words that
match the search terms, it will fail.

> and you might find something.  (This doesn't work for me for the
> topic "X-12 ARIMA".)
>
> You can also just use Google.  Lots of people think that putting the
> letter R into a Google search is hopeless, but in fact several of
> the top 10 hits I get with the search "R X-12 ARIMA" look relevant.
>
> Finally, there's the built in RSiteSearch

I found the x12 package listing with RSiteSearch("x12") at the R
console. I thought that strategy would have been described in
Introduction to R but when I tried I did not find it there.

> function, and the sos package that puts a nice front-end on it.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT