[R] [R-pkgs] new version of the Rcmdr package

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Dec 28 16:46:56 CET 2011

Dear R users,

I'd like to announce a new version, 1.8-1, of the Rcmdr package. The Rcmdr
("R Commander") package provides a basic-statistics graphical user interface
(GUI) to R, implemented in Tcl/Tk via the standard R tcltk package.

Beyond small changes and additions, the new version of the Rcmdr package
uniformly implements a feature, first available in version 1.7-0, that
allows dialogs to retain users' previous selections. This feature is
activated by setting the Rcmdr option retain.selections to TRUE, which is
now the default choice (see ?Commander). When retain.selections is TRUE,
participating dialogs acquire a Reset button, which will restore them to
pristine state. As well, dialogs that access the current Rcmdr data set are
automatically reset when the data set changes. The selection-retention
mechanism can also be used by authors of Rcmdr plug-in packages.

Although the new Rcmdr package has been tested, it's possible that problems
will surface, and as always I'm grateful for bug reports.

Kosar Karimi Pour, a graduate-student assistant, helped me in adapting the
Rcmdr dialogs to employ the new selection-retention feature.

Best wishes for the new year,
 John

John Fox
Senator William McMaster