[R] sapply Call Returning " the condition has length > 1" Error

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Dec 27 22:06:58 CET 2011

Dear Alex,

You'll probably get a better answer if you don't keep what you want to do a
secret.

> Do you mean that sapply would take columns in the input data.frame and
> feed them into "FUN" as "whole" vectors? That explains the behavior.

Yes. As I said, a data frame is a list of columns, so FUN is called with
each column as its argument.

> Is there an "*apply" function that will fee elements of the input
> data.frame into "FUN" instead of whole columns? Thanks.

I'm afraid that I don't know what you mean. Do you want to deal with the
columns of the data frame separately (in general, they need not all be of
the same class), and within each column, apply a function separately to each
element? You could nest calls to lapply() or sapply(), as in

sapply(D, function(DD) sapply(DD, abs))

assuming, of course, that D is an entirely numeric data frame. But in this
case,

abs(as.matrix(D))

would be more sensible, and using sapply() like this isn't necessarily
better than a loop. Again, not knowing what you want to do makes it hard to
suggest a solution.

Best,
 John