[R] readLines errors

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Dec 24 14:28:24 CET 2011

On Dec 24, 2011, at 4:12 AM, rusers.sh wrote:

> Hi All,
>  I met a problem using readLines function to return the data from
> Google
> maps.
>
>  readLines(url("
> http://ditu.google.cn/maps/geo?q=+qianshuichong,+guichi+anhui,+CN&output=csv&key=ABQIAAAAq8Fnd_oUka-7RdS6BrD7GBTqeABoQuNTXS36G_rkiwQnKRW6GBTkns8JpKz6y6dScgB8827dlddUlg
> "),
> n=1, warn=FALSE)
>
> [1] "200,4,30.6528380,117.4872250"
>
>  The above code is ok because the address is English, but it cannot
> work
> when i change the address into zh-hans (Chinese simplified). See
> below.
>
>  readLines(url("http://ditu.google.cn/maps/geo?q=+Ç°Ë®³å<http://ditu.google.cn/maps/geo?q=+%E5%89%8D%E6%B0%B4%E5
> %86%B2>
> ,+¹ó³Ø+°²»Õ,
> +
> ÖÐ
> ¹
> &output
> =
> csv
> &key
> =
> ABQIAAAAq8Fnd_oUka
> -7RdS6BrD7GBTqeABoQuNTXS36G_rkiwQnKRW6GBTkns8JpKz6y6dScgB8827dlddUlg
> &language=zh-CN&region=zh_Hans"),
> n=1, warn=FALSE)

When I plug that URL into my browser (Firefox) I get this text on a
white background:

602,0,0,0
When I execute that code in R I get:
[1] "{"
And when I remove the lines restriction I get:
[1] "{"
[2] "  \"name\": \" Ç°Ë®³å\\u003chttp://ditu.google.cn/maps/geo?
q= 前水冲\\u003e\","
[3] "  \"Status\": {"
[4] "    \"code\": 602,"
[5] "    \"request\": \"geocode\""
[6] "  }"
[7] "}"
I don't read Chinese , however it does appear that there was some sort
of extra processing step that Firefox carried out to arrive at the
displayed text.