[R] need help with a time series plotting problem

vibhava vibhavasrivastava at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 08:21:51 CET 2011

Dear R Users,
                     I am a beginner in R programming and need some help
with a simple plotting problem that i am having. My dataset consist of three
columns: first one has data_id, second is the date and third is the actual
data itself corresponding to each date. The date ranges from
1/1/2000-12/31/2009. I am trying to plot my data versus the dates as a long
term time series but what's happening is that R is plotting each year on top
of the previous year. so instead of getting 1 line (dated 2000-2009) in the
plot i am getting 9 lines (1 line for each year). i tried to look for
solutions online but found nothing. can someone suggest how can i make a
plot with x-axis ranging from 2000-2009. my code is copied below:

setwd("J:/Rstuff/flow")
flow=read.delim("flow.dat",header=TRUE,sep="\t")
plot(flow$usgs1500~as.Date(flow$date,
"%m/%d/%y"),type="l",xlab="date",ylab="daily discharge (m3/s)
",main="USGS1500",yaxs="i", xaxs="i",)

any help would be appreciated

regards

vibhava