[R] Stacked area plot for time series

Ben Neal bneal at spg.ucsd.edu
Fri Dec 23 19:16:28 CET 2011

Meant to say ZOO objects . . .

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Neal [mailto:bneal at spg.ucsd.edu]
Sent: Fri 12/23/2011 10:15 AM
To: Hadley Wickham; UncleFish
Cc: r-help at r-project.org
Subject: RE: [R] Stacked area plot for time series

Yes, thanks for the direction. I am new to the list and new to R, and I can see that was not a very helpful description.

I have since resolved my issue. My main issue was that stackpoly does not (I think) interact with XOO objects or ts object, and my secondary issue was that my time series was highly irregular (with inferred indigenous historical consumption rates of fish, separated by large gaps). I resolved this by taking my data, making it a zoo to order it, transforming to a ts to interpolate missing values, and transforming to a matrix to do the stackpoly plot.

I then resolved the issue of too many tick marks on the x axis by making a new axis. I did seem to have difficulty with some plot functions apparently do not to function in plotrix (specifically xaxt='n').

I am aware that stacked area charts might not an acceptable graphical representation of the data in some opinions, and I tend to agree. However, this output had to match the format of other graphs in the work, and was thus desired in this specific format.

Thanks for providing this stackpoly tool - very handy! Code follows, and a final graphic is attached:

library("zoo")
library("plotrix")
setwd("~/Documents/Loren/RawData")
CaribData = read.csv("FLA_Loren.csv", header = TRUE)
attach(CaribData)

## Create ZOO to order by time
z1=zoo(Commercial,Year)
z2=zoo(Recreational,Year)
z3=zoo(Subsistence,Year)
z4<-merge(z1,z2,z3)

##Convert to ts to interpolate missing NA values
ts1<-as.ts(z1)
ts1Ex<-na.approx(ts1)
ts2<-as.ts(z2)
ts2Ex<-na.approx(ts2)
ts3<-as.ts(z3)
ts3Ex<-na.approx(ts3)

## Merge into one object
ts4Ex<-cbind(ts1Ex, ts2Ex, ts3Ex, deparse.level = 1)
##Test plots to examine series
plot(ts1Ex)
plot(ts2Ex)
plot(ts3Ex)
plot(ts4Ex)

## Convert for stacked area plotting and plot
CaribMatrix<-as.matrix(ts4Ex)
stackpoly(CaribMatrix, stack=TRUE, xlab="Year",ylab="Catch in tons",
          main="Historical Florida reef fisheries catch by sector", axis4="FALSE")

stackpoly(CaribMatrix, stack=TRUE, xlab="Year",ylab="Catch in tons",
          col.main="red", font.main=4,
          axis4="FALSE",  xat=seq(50,760,by=100),
          xaxlab=c(1300, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700, 1800, 1900, 2000))