[R] Stacked area plot for time series

UncleFish bpneal at ucsd.edu
Wed Dec 21 15:13:28 CET 2011

I wish to make a stacked area chart of a time series with three variables.
The observations are very irregular, covering 500 years, with a few
historical observations in the range 1500-1850, and then more regular
observations since 1880 or so.  If I plot this in Excell it truncates the
time series, but it can make a nice stacked area plot. My question is how
can I have a correct x axis with a stacked plot in R? I thave tried the data
in a zoo as well as a ts, and have tried ggplot2 and plotrix, but cannot get
beyond a lattice plot.