[R] Should data for the linear mixed model analysis meet the three assumptions of ANOVA?

Junli zhjl86 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 03:42:31 CET 2011

Hi All,

I am doing linear mixed model analysis for my multi-location
experiment using R package "lme4". I just wonder whether I should
check my data first to see whether they meet the three assumptions of
ANOVA, that is, independence, normality and homogeneity. I saw a lot
of examples and the manual of lme4, but no one did data check first.
In my experiment, the assumption of homogeneity usually cannot be met.
I do not know whether it will affect the result a lot or not.

Thanks.

Junli