[R] modify the name of axis of an R function

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 16 10:48:16 CET 2011

    > On Dec 15, 2011, at 1:53 AM, plocq wrote:

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I use the function fpot of packages evd. If I call the
    >> fit that I obtain "fit", I want to modify the name of the
    >> axis and the main title that is produced by plot(fit1).

    > Usually this would be accomplished with

    > plot(fit, main="main title", xlab="X-axis lable",
    > ylab="y-axis label")

    >> To do this, I want to create a new function where I would
    >> have the names modified.

    > Seems unlikely that this would be needed.

    >> The problem is that I can't find the function that
    >> produce these plots... I tried to see in plot.uvevd but
    >> it doesn't seems to be the good one. Can anybody help me?
    >> Many thanks!

    > The way to address this, if you are committed to this
    > path, is to first determine the class of the fit-object
    > and then to look for a plot method with methods(plot). If
    > you see an S3 method you can call up the code with:

    > evd:::plot.fit-class # when "fit-class" is the value you
    > got with class(fit)

    > If it's an S4 method, then it's much more convoluted, and
    > over time I've learned not to try.

huh?
David, I'm disappointed.

Not at all much more convoluted, just different.
I think you should make a 2nd attempt, starting with
things like

  showMethods(plot)

with versions

  showMethods(plot, class = "...")
  showMethods(plot, include = TRUE)
  showMethods(plot, class = "...", include = TRUE)

or then directly

  selectMethod(plot, "<class>")

----

and yes, this is all not relevant to  evd  where the methods are
S3 only...

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich