[R] From Distance Matrix to 2D coordinates

Lorenzo Isella lorenzo.isella at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 19:08:30 CET 2011

Dear All,
I am struggling with the following problem: I am given a NxN symmetric
matrix P ( P[i,i]=0, i=1...N and P[i,j]>0 for i!=j) which stands for the
relative distances of N points.
I would like use it to get the coordinates of the N points in a 2D
plane. Of course, the solution is not unique (given one solution, I can
translate or rotate all the points by the same amount and generate
another solution), but any correct solution will do for me.
Any idea about how I can achieve that? Is there any clustering package
that can help me?
Many thanks.

Lorenzo